The Lagos State Government says additional 10 people have been listed as contacts in the tracing of primary and secondary contacts being done by the state government.
The Lagos Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris,said the additional 10 cases had brought the number of contacts that had been traced to 321.
Idris said two more patients infected with the Ebola virus disease had survived the disease and had been discharged after being treated at the isolation centre.
The commissioner, who spoke on Tuesday at Alausa, Ikeja, however, added that of the 321 traced contacts, 159 had been cleared and discharged on completion of the 21-day surveillance and follow-up.
He said, “A total of 321 contacts have been traced. Additional 10 contacts were listed yesterday (Monday). But 159 of these contacts had been cleared and discharged on completion of the 21-day surveillance and follow-up.
“Psycho-social coun-selling is ongoing for contacts as well as the families of the confirmed cases in general. Lagosians who suspected they had traces of the disease should report themselves or call the Ebola-free toll line as appropriate processes would be followed, which included having trained personnel performed screening at their locations.”
Idris explaned that the new survivors comprised a medical doctor and a nurse, adding that seven Nigerians infected with the EVD had survived.
He said five people died, including the index case, late Patrick Sawyer, stressing that only one confirmed case of Ebola is now at the isolation centre.
“Ebola infection is not a dead sentence. This has been buttresses by the recovery of seven confirmed cases here in Lagos. The survivors are being re-integrated successfully with their families and communities. The common thread among the recovered cases is their early presentation for supportive treatment,” he said.